Monday, January 20, 2014

a small time away from the blog and running

I have been a touch absent from my blog this week.   I don't have a great reason, but I do have an-it's-easy-to-understand reason: our desktop computer died.

And why is this a valid excuse (for me)?  Well, have you have tried to type something longwinded on an iPad?  In itself this is not a terrible task, unless you want to navigate inside said longwinded blog post!  Enough excuses.

I have also been a touch absent from my running this week as well.   I don't have a great excuse either, but I think I had a valid reason to take a little break.  My double runs last Tuesday left my right knee feeling a little inflamed, and when I ran on Thursday morning it began to ache after 1.5 miles.  I switched to walking to give my knee a break.   I ended up taking Saturday off due to scheduling conflicts, and I feel that this extra rest may have been good for my knee.

I have always been warned by more experienced runners to be cautious with injury and I really do not want to risk an injury this year!  I think it is very hard for most runners (myself included) to take a break and not feel like you are being lazy.  I know as well as the next guy that the minute I start writing excuses for myself, I can start writing one each time I don't want to get out of bed when my alarm goes off at 4:50am.   I do, however, have a 3.5 year history of getting out there and running every week rain, snow or shine.  That track record keeps me in it for the long haul, I have built my running up for so long.  I don't want to take an extended break and have to start all over again!

That being said, sometimes a break of a couple of days does do me some good.  It breaks up the monotony of the alarm going off so early and gets me ready to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment